IOT Penetration Testing
What is IoT Penetration Testing?
An IoT network points to where devices, vehicles, buildings and other items integrate with software, sensors, electronics and network connectivity, enabling these objects to collect, exchange data and communicate. An IoT penetration test points to the estimation and exploitation of various components present in an IoT device solution, making the device safer and more protected.
The Internet of Things is a network comprising devices, vehicles, buildings or electronic devices. They are all interconnected such that they transfer data between them. The objective of an IoT Pentest is to identify the defects present in the different layers in order to protect the object’s entire environment. The audit targets the hardware (electronics), the software (embedded software, communication protocol), APIs, and web & mobile interfaces.
Device Interoperability Testing
- Testing the integration of multiple devices
- Device-to-device and device to cloud transmission
- Testing interoperability with numerous IoT protocols
Performance & Load Testing
- Behavior in various states – intermittent connectivity, network bandwidth variance, packet loss, etc
- Load simulation
Security & Data Privacy Testing
- Testing security across all interfaces of IoT system
- Identify insecure network services, data privacy, and transport encryption.
- Validation of separate external interfaces.
- Validation of services and integration layer.
User Experience Testing
- Functionality validation.
- User experience under various application conditions.
- Test for usability and accessibility.
- User experience over various channels.
End to End Functional testing
- Validation of functional components like device, communication, cloud, web application, analytics engine and device application.
- End to end system testing.
IOT Security Testing ApproachEach IoT product is different. Hence, you need a custom approach for testing. However, typical IoT testing procedures include the following:
Attack Surface Mapping
Firmware Reverse Engineering And Binary Exploitation
Web, Mobile And Cloud Vulnerabilities
Radio Security Analysis
PII Data Security Analysis
Would you like to speak to a security analyst?
We understand the importance of approaching each work integrally and believe in the power of simple.